A New Leaf for dp
That’s right, don’t panic is turning over a new leaf, starting NOW! =)
Some of you may have read my recent Reckoning 2011 and Resolving for 2012 post, some of you probably have not. In any case, one of my resolutions for 2012 which I included there is to write more. Specifically to post here on dp at least once a week, on average. Just to clarify; the “at least” part means that I hope to exceed this goal and post more than I am committing to, and the “on average” part means that I know some weeks get crazy (or lazy) and so long as I come out with at least 52 new posts here on this blog before the world ends in December – I’ll call myself a success.
There’s one problem. I really don’t think I can post 4+ times a month on strictly technical, Internet related, material. There are several reasons for this doubt:
- Now that I work at CableLabs my job is much less router jockey then it once was and is now much more technology development and strategic vision.
- Many of the things I work on day to day are “secret” in one semblance of the word or another and really shouldn’t be shared publicly.
- Many of the other things I work on have their own forums (standards in the various IETF working groups, address policy on PPML, etc.) and it often feels redundant to re-post my views here.
- I want to start writing articles for technical journals (online and off) in the near future, so some of my more technical output will go that direction, rather than being posted here.
- While I am absolutely passionate about Internet technology, I have many other interests as well (most of which I don’t get to enjoy all-day every-day).
- Network Engineering/Architecture is a very specialized field, and I’d like to provide value for a broader audience, inclusive of all kinds of geeks (because I’m all kinds of geek).
All of this has led me to the conclusion that in order to meet my goal of a post a week, I have to branch out into new topics – probably exposing a little more of my self in the process. I’m good with that, and I hope you are too.
What to Expect
So, what should you expect in the coming weeks and months as I scramble to meet this new goal? Hopefully a lot!
I plan to pull up to the 35,000 foot view a bit more and talk about the things I do outside of work that help make me as happy and successful as I am (I’ll let you judge how I rank). I’ll talk about my views on happiness and success, how I foster positivity and creativity in myself and those around me, and other practical tips for living well. I don’t claim to have all the answers in these areas, or really any answers for that matter. What I can do is tell you what works for me – and hopefully inspire you along the way. Life’s a journey and I want to share a bit more of mine with you.
Don’t get worried if you have been enjoying my blog up until now though. I will still be posting about the Internet and technology here, probably quite often, it just won’t be the only thing you’ll find here anymore. Hopefully any regular readers I may have will enjoy this progression – if you don’t, feel free to let me know!
The primary takeaway for myself is that nothing is off limits anymore. When I created this site it was meant to be a personal weblog, with a set of topics as diverse as my interests. Pretty quickly though I honed in on networking technology, and when I started breaking 100 visits a day I got worried about straying from that topic. I’m taking this opportunity to take back my blog (from myself) and maybe get a little crazy. I hope you enjoy the ride.